Monday, October 14, 2013

The Airline Love Story - Part 1 (And Intro)

The Airline Love Story is a piece I wrote on two airplane flights on my way back from Europe. I had a couple hour flight from Scotland to London, and then an 8 hour flight from London to Chicago. I purchased a little plaid notebook in the Edinburgh airport and made a deal with myself that I was going to fill the notebook with a story over the course of my in-air time. Well, I did. I filled every page of that notebook. I will be publishing it here over the next few posts.

Some interesting notes about this.


  • I did not necessarily write it in chronological order. It's not meant to be plot driven as much as it is an insight into the psyche of someone going through a complicated relationship.
  • Each part is VERY short individually. It's not a novel or novella. It's barely a short story. Maybe it's a "short-storyella". Maybe it's really an essay in the first person.
  • The piece is written in the first person. This was a deliberate choice so as to focus on the insights of the main character as opposed to the outward view of the main character. I could have used "he" instead of "I", perhaps, but I like this way much better.
  • I DID do some minor editing after I landed and before I transcribed it onto this blog. The original piece inside the notebook will probably be destroyed.
  • The characters are fictional, the scenarios are fictional, the premise is fictional. Hint: It's fictional.
  • It has adult themes. If that is going to bother you, either don't read it, or read it fully aware. 

And now, part 1.....


THE AIRLINE LOVE STORY - PART 1 "Timeless Farewell"

“Good luck. I’ll see you when I get back!”

And with that and a brief hug, I watched her go through the gate. Gate 14, no jetbridge, on a regional turbo-prop plane bound for tomorrow. 

I walked about ten feet to a nearby window to watch her walk down the tarmac toward the stairs leading into the cabin of the plane. I wondered… no, I honestly hoped she would turn back and see me in the window so I could wave goodbye. She kept walking, all the way to the stairs. She did stop, turn to the windows, flashed her Ivy League smile and waved, making a hand motion for me to take a picture of her boarding. I obliged, happily. Perhaps because it was one of only a dozen or less things she’s ever asked of me. My smartphone snapped a picture. We gave each other a final thumbs up and a wave, and she boarded the plane. I honestly believed I would never see her again.


I still believe it.



No comments:

Post a Comment